Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Today's History

Occasionally I like to pick some mundane date and see "what in the world" happened on that day, that made news or notable history.

So for October 20th, an otherwise boring, travel day for me, here goes:

HIGHLIGHTS:

--Louisiana Purchase: acquisition that doubled the territory of the United States was ratified by the Senate (1803)
--"
I shall return": General Douglas MacArthur fulfilled his 1942 promise when he led an Allied army in freeing the Philippines from Japanese control in WWII (1944)
--Saturday Night Massacre: during Watergate, President Richard Nixon got rid of his special prosecutor, Archibald Cox, as well as his attorney-general, and deputy attorney-general (1973)
--Sydney Opera House: distinctive building on Sydney Harbour was opened by Queen Elizabeth II (1973)

Probably, in my opinion, one of the darker moments of US history was the opening of hearings of the House of UnAmerican activities. Sixty-two years ago today, the
House Un-American Activities Committee opened its investigation into alleged Communist influence in the motion picture industry. The first witness to take the stand was studio head Jack Warner, a rabid anti-Communist. As a result of hearings that took place over the next month, 10 screenwriters and directors, aka the Hollywood Ten, were cited for contempt of Congress and served a year in jail. Another 300 artists were boycotted by the studios. Blacklisted until the 60s, some wrote under pseudonyms; Michael Wilson and Dalton Trumbo were unable to collect Oscars they won under assumed names. The committee continued its investigations, changing its name to the Internal Security Committee in 1969. It was finally dissolved in January 1975.

The careers of many artists were impugned and ruined, because of a philosophical view, known more as progressive, rather than Communist. Interestingly the word "progressive" is being splatted across the national agenda today. Labeling is a dangerous, libelous practice.

Source of the ABOVE information: Answers.com .

An even more detailed listing is available here .

ENJOY!

For current events that may make this list in years to come? Read your newspaper; watch TV news; search the Internet!

7 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you for that history. I've never really understood that period.

Betty said...

Good post. Thanks for the info.

Renie Burghardt said...

Interesting history, Carol, especially about the House of Un American Activities. Got to follow those links when I have a bit more time. My older son and granddaughter are coming from Ohio for a few days, so I have been busy getting ready. Can't wait until they get here, since the last time I saw them was at Easter.

Have a good Wednesday!

Renie

Jackie said...

I'm going to phone my Daddy right now (I'm just getting home...sorry my comment is so late) and tell him that today is "MacArthur's" Day... He'll know exactly what I'm talking about. I didn't realize it was today. I love the historical events page today....Wonderful!!!
Thank you so much....

Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks for the interesting lesson. I love history, sometimes it is good to realize that it really is behind us and that we no longer feel the way we use to.

Chaplain Grace Michelle said...

Thank you Carol, I do enjoy this day in History. Hopefully we can learn from it and not repeat the same mistakes. The labels and name calling that is going on in our news on TV and print media does get a bit scary at times.
Grace

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I'm so glad you posted this!!! I love knowing what happened on a date years before!!! It really makes you stop and remember such important events!!! We don't reflect on them nearly enough!! Thanks!!! Love you!~Janine XO