Monday, November 23, 2009

Thankfulness #23 -30

Since we are leaving for Little Rock Tuesday I am completed my Thankfulness posts today. We will be staying until sometime Friday. This is a trip of necessity and we usually choose to spend at least two nights for our convenience and well-being.

My husband has a Little Rock VA appointment at the hearing clinic on Wednesday. We usually make at least 2-3 days out of this 300 mi round trip. To do it in one day is just too tiring on both of us. However, since Thanksgiving Day would be the day we normally would return home, we decided to spend an extra night and enjoy Thanksgiving Day in Little Rock, returning home on Friday. We had no other plans, anyway.

I will have my trusty laptop with me, but not sure what we might decide to do, if anything!!!

Thankfulness: [see Holding Patterns by Sandi]:

23. When I remember the original Thanksgiving in our country, the 51 survivors out of 100, were simply thankful they survived one year. So I am thankful my husband and I, despite chronic disease and aging, have survived another year.

24. Because our survival is often dependent on improved medical knowledge from methods of treatment, diagnosis, and medications, I am thankful for all who pursue these fields in health care, both practice and research.

25. It is said President Abraham Lincoln declared a national Day of Thanksgiving at Gettysburg, where grotesque parts of bodies still lay unburied from the greatest battle and turning point of the Civil War. To me this was the most horrific of wars. I pray the union of our states is never again be severed for any reason.

26. I am thankful, despite our distance from kinsman, we regularly are in touch with relatives via various marvelous forms of communication: cell and plain old telephones, various Internet programs, video conferencing which can be done with various chat/video Internet program, e-mail, voice mail, snail mail and newer methods are continually emerging.

27. I am thankful, I have never truly known hunger and poverty in any degree, much less that which exists on much of our planet. Even now some fellow citizens suddenly find themselves without jobs, homes, and sustenance. There are persons in my area sleeping in cars, some of which have little or no fuel to move.

28. I am thankful I have been exposed to military life as a wife and observed the unique, often nerve wrecking, family breaking pressures by the positions and assignments of a spouse. And it is much more stressful today, as there were not two wars. Pray for all our military families.

29. I am thankful for comforts that make independent living in older years easier: lift chairs, monitoring devices, care services, motorized carts/wheelchairs/lifting devices, only a few.To date I only use one of these. I read of new gizmos every day.

30. I am thankful for the blogging phenomenon. It probably will fade or evolve into something different, but that is the fun of it all. Blogginh is a positive creative activity in many ways. It can also be destructive, too. I try to say less, not more, and generally consider my opinion, not too important, if not positive .


HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ONE AND ALL FROM MY BLOG TO ALL WHO READ!

10 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh, do have a safe trip to and from Little Rock....and a happy Thanksgiving to you.
I'm glad you are taking your laptop...never know...you might want to check in...or not! :))
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your husband. Safe traveling to you!
Smiles from Jackie

faye said...

Hope you have a safe trip ..
going and returning home.
Never leave home without your
laptop.Loads of free wi-fi connections out there.
Happy Turkey Day !!!

Arkansas Patti said...

Hope you have a safe and successful trip to LR and find a great "turkey" restaurant. Best part of eating out, no clean up.
Love your latest thankfulnesses.
This year with so many people struggling it is important to remember them in our prayers.
All 30 were part of a great list. Thanks for the reminders.

Silver said...

As I read your thankfulness list over and over again, all i can say is, you have a good Spirit and Heart.

I think there are much to be said about the blogging activity..but not all things can be "blared" out.. i do have a good list of some of those.. not all are pleasant!

On the positive note, I consider it to be a lifeline for many because there are many real people out there who are lonely and blogging does keep one "going on" ..because it provides a Voice where in the 'real' world, no one cares to listen anymore. Everyone is just too busy or NOT interested. Everyone has become superficial.

Have a safe trip and Happy Thanksgiving ;)

Lisa said...

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful and safe trip.

I also wanted to thank you for your very wise and comforting words written to me on my Stupid Turkey post ~ I never thought it would be okay to know...NO ONE can cut that Stupid Turkey like my father. :-) THANK YOU! ~ It is silly I didn't know that...but I just didn't think of it.

Patty said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Have a safe trip to and from.

Amber Star said...

I'm thankful for the beauty of Arkansas when we get a chance to get away we go there.

Hope your trip is dull and boring and there are no accidents at all.

Enjoy a little time away from home and I'm thankful to have met you and so many different people during this past year.

Rosaria Williams said...

The longer I'm alive, the more thankful I become.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Enjoy your trip and be safe. I enjoyed reading your post. What a sweet caring person you are.
I too have so many things to be thankful for and bloggers are a big on the list
Happy Thanksgiving
Maggie

Lorna said...

Happy thanksgiving to you too. You have been articulating for me some of the things for which I too am thankful. For some reason, that makes me think you are wise and compassionate.