Saturday, May 05, 2012

CRASH!!!

NOT  EXACTLY.  But I am having multiple computer problems with Windows 7. System Restore does not complete and gives me a strange error.

When I surf the net for solutions it is always some program to install and solve your problem instantly. Previously these programs, including PitStop, RegCure and several other created more problems than ssolved becuase they mainly scan your registry for perceived unused DLL files left behind from uninstalling programs. That's fine but often these DLLs are shared by other programs. Since most of us including myself, do not know which are shared and which are not, it is a crapshoot whether to allow deletion of not. Everytime I have allowed deletion then I get messes like I now have.

I just happen to have a mirror image of my computer from March. I have backed up everything I can think of on external drives several times. except I still lack photos but will get to that, too.

So I am taking a week off to get this idiot machine and its idiot operator back to a clean smooth running machine.

When I used to build desktops with a friend for sale, we studied a lot of tech manuals. One such manual advised you restore your machine tro factory fresh once a year. We thought that extremely drastic. But a good mirror image is not a bad choice if you keep them up to date.

If I did it right I would do it every month. but March 2012 is better than March 2011!!! I have had this laptop over 3 years and is first recovery I have had to do.

If you never hear from me again, it exploded, or the Beast of a Bush engulfed and buried it on green pollen.

5 comments:

Dimple said...

I'm glad you haven't lost your sense of humor! Hope you have it up and running smoothly very soon!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Hi honey
I saw this title Crash and it scared me. Thought you had an accident in the car.
So happy that was not the case but sorry about your issues with computer.
Hope you have a wonderful week
Love
Maggie

Arkansas Patti said...

I don't envy you your challange. You are far ahead of me computer wise. I lost my guru and just pray for no problems.
Keep that bush at bay. I don't trust it.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh bless your heart! At least it sounds like ya know what your doin'!

My Geek Son works 'live' on line fixin' such dilemmas in his 'spare' time. The rest of it he's in a lab.

God bless ya and have yourself a magnificent week...please don't get buried in 'green' pollen!!! :o)

Amber Star said...

I wish you well with your computer problems. I'm thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling a virus scanner/firewall we installed last week. It is causing some problems with IE. I so need to back up our files to an external hard drive, too.