Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Let the Sun Shine In

Without all the technical detail, I don't have hyperparathyroidism, but Vit. D deficiency--not enough sun, or so it is the current theory of the quite young endocrinologist. This doctor looked almost young enough to be my grandson.

The cure, hopefully will be taking ergocalciferol (Vit. D) for 90 days, maybe longer, and then resuming shots for osteoporosis which I have, and which is definitely hereditary.

That was the simple theory. He was glad I came to him and did not unnecessarily have my parathyroids removed. He diagrammed on the paper sheet on the examining table. I wish I had asked if I could keep it. Anyway the technical part made sense to me.

I also have to try to chew 2 TUMS twice a day, since I have failed to find a calcium tab I can tolerate. Right now, I can't take any calcium product with D in it as I will be taking prescription strength Vit. D for awhile.

And NO he doesn't want me out in sun burning my 73-year-old skin. COVER UP!!!

At least for now the Lord has delivered me from a more serious fate. Blessed by the name of the Lord.

7 comments:

Sweetie Pie said...

Oh, I am so glad. What excellent news!

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, what great news, Carol Ann!

Recently I have heard medical reports that many people are Vitamin D deficient. Doctors actually recommend about 15 minutes of sun exposure early in the day, before the rays of the sun get hot. One doctor said to expose just arms and legs for 15 minutes a day. And, of course, take Vitamin D.

Well, I didn't mean to go off on a lecture about Vitamin D, but I did mean to tell you I am happy for you. And yes, thank the Good Lord for the good news.

Take care!

Renie

Pat - Arkansas said...

Hooray! Could be better; could be a lot worse! Thank goodness there are therapeutic doses of "D" available and you don't have to burn up your skin.

Arkansas Patti said...

Wonderful news. Surprised he won't let you out briefly in the sun though since only 15 minutes is a big help.
I have all ready cooked my 70 year old skin into a fragile state but I still try to catch some morning rays daily as I weed.
We are just learning what a valuable vitamin "D" is.
Repeat, Sooo glad it is so easily cured.

Carol Murdock said...

Carol Ann, that's great that you can cure it with sun, from the son!

Rosaria Williams said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog. Now, I discover that you too have vitamin D deficiency. I thought only my doctor was smart enough to identify this unknown malady. Anyway, good luck to both of us.

Betty said...

Good news! I'm sure I am Vit. D deficient, too, since I hardly ever get out. But, so far, so good.