Sunday, July 26, 2009

Summer Nudity Has Arrived....

With picture perfect posture, she elegantly stood naked, only adorned with a pinkish crown highlighted with small amounts of bluish or purplish tinge. Until yesterday I had not seen her hanging around the property, but she seemed to be casing the joint for future endeavors.

Astonishingly today she is joined by a host of similarly adorned friends sporting their nudity. My property appears invaded by this immodest throng, seemingly thinking I run a nudist camp.

Their numbers have neighbors wagging fingers and tongues, sadly shaking heads. My neighbor hood status is in jeopardy and my political career, in ashes.

When I moved from Texas to Arkansas, I made acquaintance in late July with Naked Ladies, a.k.a. Magic Lily, Surprise Lily, Lazarus Lily, Resurrection Lily to name a few [Lycoris squamigera].

Upon the lily's first appearance in my life, a neighbor regaled his favorite name, 'Naked Lady," to me. Having a tad of shock jock in me, the name became my favorite, despite more appropriate names.

The foliage, which slightly appears like thick daffodil leaves, sprouts in late winter and disappears by May. The large onion sized bulbs are self- propagating plus the squirrels seem to transplant some of them. They are like weeds; they cannot be killed.

A friend also gave me a similar variety, a reddish spider lily-like bloom [Lycoris radiata], which appears in mid-September. I don't have as many of this variety as the Naked Ladies. I will try to get photos this year. However, this bloomer appears in the middle of the hay fever season!!!

I was lucky to capture an hors d'oerve with this last picture! Hmm... maybe not the best word in this case since it is a fly....





7 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Bet you get a lot of hits with that title:)
Beautiful shots. Love how close ups make us appreciate flowers all the more.

NitWit1 said...

WRITER POST NOTES:

Nice title for Sunday post? hmm maybe so, maybe not, or what's the difference!

ME AND LUCKIE...

Anonymous said...

My neighbor used to grow these or some similar. They came and went all summer.

Pick a Peck of Pixels

Amber Star said...

I wonder if they will grow here in North Central Texas? They are beautiful...so pretty in pink. We have some small red lillies that look like amaryllis come up in August. They are much smaller than amaryllis, though.

I saw this title last night when you were working on it :)

walk2write said...

I love the name Naked Ladies best too and posted about them last year. We saw a planting of them in the park we walked in quite often. Irreverant as usual, I couldn't resist using a catchy title for the post: "Naked Ladies in the Park." I still get hits on that post, but I suppose it may be not quite what the visitor expects to see when accessing my site. I hope your neighbors forgive and forget when election time comes around.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Ooooh! Oooh, oooh! I love those flowers. Have seen them around town, but I have none, none, none!!! Want to swap some day lilies for some of these bulbs? LOL

Great photos, Carol.

Sweetie Pie said...

Ha ha!! You had me laughing. Your lilies are gorgeous. I've always been a sucker for lilies, and I planted a bunch of Stargazers in my parents yard. They still grumble about having to mow around them, now that I no longer live there, but, when the flowers burst into bloom (and fragrance!!) I think they win my parents over again and again.