Thursday, April 30, 2009

Luckie - Home Alone: Graze or Hunt?

This Thursday morning is a hazard zone at our household. Like Sundays, Luckie will be spending a lengthy time alone. We both have various appointments during the same time period of six hours.

Despite her usual congenial disposition, "home alone" provokes a different aspect of her personality. I think she suffers from separation anxiety complex or just plain boredom.

She empties trash and garbage cans, chews up the Kleenex tissue box or her soft, fuzzy toys, and steals/eats anything that might be construed as food, like half or whole loaves of bread, Parisian donuts, frozen meatloaf, candy, or anything left within her ability to grab.

She once emptied a trashcan we keep near our coffee makers for filters and grounds. I've never figured how she did that, as its cover is step lever actuated. She shook the filters with grinds in such a manner as to cover nearby cabinets, walls and floor with coffee grinds. It must have been a lot of fun...for her. It was no fun cleaning up for me!

Our vet has advised giving her sedatives; we bribe her with a heavy serving of her favorite dog treats before we leave. I think we have that backwards -doggy treats only if she leaves the house intact!

She instinctively knows when we are leaving; she goes and sits in front of the cabinet where her treats are stored. We are shamed into giving her treats--guilt complex in full mode.

Today I hope the chipmunks [ground squirrels] and red or gray squirrels attract her attention and occupy her time. They have made their spring appearance in reduced numbers as their habitats have been diminished. We have less trees and vegetation since the 100 year ice storm.

She loves to hunt and show us her trophies, sometimes bringing them through her doggy door into the house for display. YUCK!

However, it is raining; Luckie is deluded , thinking she is made of sugar - might melt and dislikes water. Maybe she will choose a long nap in her favorite lift recliner.

5 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Sure is tough when a dog doesn't want to be left alone. They can really do damage. Would a 4 legged friend help keep Luckie entertained?

That sure was some ice storm we had. The leafing out of the trees is helping to hide the damage but my big tree is still shaped funny.

Pat - Arkansas said...

I hope you returned to find that Luckie did not have too much fun while she was alone. It's amazing what animals can get into when they are trying to amuse themselves.

Amber Star said...

Our animal children certainly run our lives. After our dog died I didn't really want another, I wanted some flower beds for a change. We have a cat who is 19 now, I think. She rules around here. Hope the damage wasn't too bad when you got home today.

Amber Star said...

Our animal children certainly run our lives. After our dog died I didn't really want another, I wanted some flower beds for a change. We have a cat who is 19 now, I think. She rules around here. Hope the damage wasn't too bad when you got home today.

Sweetie Pie said...

I hope you returned to find less damage than you had from the ice storm. My parents are finally done getting their pecan trees shaped up after all of the ice. Yuck. What a mess!

Luckie is so pretty! I'm not allowed to have a dog in my apartment building right now, but getting a pup is at the top of the list whenever I move into new digs. For now, I just spend time with my friends' dogs and day dream. :-)