Monday, August 17, 2009

The Time has come to talk of many things...

"The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--

Of cabbages--and kings--

And why the sea is boiling hot--

And whether pigs have wings."

--Lewis Carroll



I love that verse from The Walrus and the Carpenter, some of which is quoted by Tweedledee and Tweedledum in Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, by Lewis Carroll;, Tweedledee and Tweedledum were subjects of a nursery rhyme, t00.



Actually, I felt sorry for the young oysters who were led astray and eaten. I see a number of metaphors in this poem. I wonder if this ditty is the first reference to the phrase "when pigs fly."



Instead of shoes, ships, and sealing wax, etc., I am speaking of sailboats, deer, Crepe Myrtle, sunRISE, a grasshopper (I think) but that photolog will have to wait as I have a few Slider hours or a day. We had a severe storm last night and WiFi was turned off by resort owner. I certainly don't blame him as rural electricity is more erratic. He did not want to fry his electronic equipment which has already happened at least once.

I had been catching up on surfing, blogging, e-mail at night which is a normal habit. This a.m. I am going fishing till more storms roll in. Husband and guide only got one keeper yesterday, so not optimistic. August is tough on this Lake. However, we've enjoyed this mini-vacation enough we may repeat it for gifts to ourselves. We really do hate gift buying as we have all we need, and usually, get what we want when we want, although we confer on high ticket purchases, like cars, computers, etc.

So am posting this unedited format -- with a small challenge if you wish to expound on various metaphors of The Walrus and the Carpenter.

5 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Grey looking here, hope you have much better and can get in some fishing. Even a rainy day with that view you have would be great.
Keep on enjoying.

Renie Burghardt said...

Love the verse as well.

We had strong stoms last night, too, and then again some today. Haven't been online much until now.

Hope you caught a keeper today. If you catch a mess of them, will you be cooking it right there at the cabin?

Forecast says we'll have beautiful weather after this rainy stuff moves through. I can't wait to get back on the river and jet ski again. But Wednesdays are for Chinese Buffets. Yum!

Enjoy the rest of the week, Carol Ann.

Lorna said...

That is one of my favourite excerpts from A in W....I'd love to hear Johnny Depp trilling it in his new movie, but I guesss that would really be pushing the envelope.

NitWit1 said...

I read the whole poem to refresh my memory a tad. The part where they ate the young oysters they lured to come with them, reminded me how easily young vulnerable persons are led down a primrose path for whatever enticing reason, the end of which ends in destruction.

We caught two nice sized walleyes this evening--made a quart of fillets. Limit per person is 4 fish of 18" and longer. I caught three (one was 16.5 inches) and one humongous blue gill, all in 40-50 feet of water. The rig generally used plus the fish have my arms sore.

Pat - Arkansas said...

It's been years since I "wet a hook" anywhere. My children's father was an avid fisherman. Three of my four kids inherited a love of the sport, and would go fishing at the drop of a hat. Gardening daughter is one of those, and is teaching her 4.75 year old to fish; she loves it!

I don't know when I first read "Alice" but have repeated the quote many times, perhaps because it is nonsensical and stuck in my head.